Temple Beth Shalom’s social action community translates the ethical principles of Judaism into action for advocacy and education. The Social Action Committee’s mission is to identify, create, and support activities that improve our world, while also enriching the lives of our members.
Our current vision includes programs targeting the environment, health, hunger, shelter and religious and personal freedom.
Ongoing activities include:
- Collections of food and household essential items for My Brother’s Pantry that distributes food for those in need. Baskets are located at both Sanctuary and School entrances.
- Construction excursions with Habitat for Humanity to help build homes for those without adequate shelter.
- Rides to and from services and temple events for those members needing transportation.
- Working to help our temple community become more conscious of Green ways of living thru establishment of a recycling program at the temple, including regular education in our classrooms and tips in the monthly newsletter.
- Volunteer your time to visit with individuals living in the homes Bello Machre manages for people with developmental disabilities. Good opportunity for families to share your time and help make everyone a little happier.
- We volunteer for the Light House Shelter by collecting toiletries and food and also by helping with fundraisers such as the Pumpkin Patch. Visits are made during Mitzvah to do specific tasks requested.
Please look for regular updates online and in our monthly newsletter and remember that nothing can happen without volunteers. Set aside time on this day, contact the organizer of a project that interests you, and please help.